Saturday 14 February 2009

Today is the day for lovers - and in our house, we take that seriously!
And it includes making a 'new' traditional favourite - decadent chocolate brownie hearts!

When my children were young, I left chocolate Valentine heart lollipops and Valentine cards for them on the dining room table before I went to bed.
In the morning, they would hurry downstairs, getting ready for school, and find their surprise waiting for them.
It was a nice way to welcome their day and let them know how much they were loved.

Since I married my husband, Jim, and now live here in England, we have begun a new tradition: we celebrate the day with home-made, from scratch, brownies. I make them, bake them, and cut them into hearts using a cookie cutter.
Then we adorn them with fresh raspberries and a bit of vanilla ice cream.

I use a brownie recipe from Martha Stewart's Living Magazine, originally published in 2004.
I looked for it on-line, and it has been removed, so I cannot provide a link for you.
But I will place the recipe at the end of this post.
So here are some pictures showing the steps, and the finished product.
Enjoy and wishing you all new traditions to share and love in your hearts for Valentine's Day!


DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES

Makes about 8

Vegetable Oil Cooking Spray

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

6 ounces semisweet chocolate (about 170 grams)

* I used Green & Blacks

¼ cup best quality unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder

*I used Green & Blacks Organic Cocoa

¾ cup all purpose flour

¼ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (about 180 C)
  2. Line an 8” square baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a 2” overhang on 2 sides. Coat with cooking spray. Set aside.

· Press the paper in the pan, trim to fit.

· Spray the pan first, and then replace the trimmed paper.

· Spray again. I used butter.

  1. Melt together: butter, chocolate & cocoa in heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat. Stir until smooth. Let cool slightly.
  2. Whisk together: flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
  3. Put eggs, sugar and vanilla into a bowl of an electric mixer fitted wit a whisk attachment. Beat until pale, about 4 minutes.
  4. Beat in the chocolate mixture. Add the flour mixture. Beat until just combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
  5. Transfer batter to the prepared pan. Smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted between the edge and the center of the pan comes out with a few crumbs on it, about 30-35 minutes. Do not over bake. Let cool about 15 minutes and remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack.

Martha Stewart Living magazine: 15 Years of Delicious Desserts

February 2006; Originally from magazine published in February 2004

Photograph & Description: Page 61; Recipe: Page 16


5 comments:

natalie jo said...

Just got my new Martha Stewart magazine in the mail and the first thing that popped into my mind was you! I remember reading one time that you subscribe to it and for some reason I always think of you way over there in England waiting to get your Martha Stewart issues delivered while I'm way over here waiting to get my British Country Livings! Anyway it was funny to then jump on here and find you posted this yummy recipe of hers. It's definately on my "to make" list along with the one you gave awhile back for savory burgers by Gordon Ramsey. My husband and I love him..."potty mouth" and all!
Fondly, natalie jo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the brownie recipe Maggie. I was given a brownie by an American family friend when I was a mere child and I've never forgotten the taste. Always wondered what the ingredients were so now I can bake my own. I was thinking about you whilst the Buffalo disaster was headline news last week. I'm so relieved your daughter and her fiance were not involved. My son flew back from Florida a couple of days later and I worried the whole time. The Hudson was bad enough but then Buffalo. Surely there can be no more. Eli

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Yum, yum! What an incredible plate of sweetness!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of cutting the brownies with heart cutters! Thanks for sharing!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Thanks for the Etsy advice! I will try making the pics smaller tomorrow...I sell right off my blog all the time (I sometimes do Friday Flea Markets) I just send paypal invoices to people's email addresses.
So the little top is $3 plus shipping :)